Berkeley drowned while completing a pledging errand.
Please email Hank Nuwer if you have more information). He was being put through the initiation when one of the hazers accidentally fell upon him. Thomas Finley Brown, 12, Is dead from injuries received while being hazed at tho Porter military academy last Monday.
[Source: Columbus Daily Enquirer, November 23, 1899] 9) 1900 Massachusetts Institute of Technology Class Scrap Hugh C. Brown was now at the academy and the older boys, following their former custom, dropped him Into a cemented swimming basin 12 feet deep.
Hank Nuwer, Pulliam School of Journalism, Franklin College, Franklin, IN 46131 Franklin Seminary (Kentucky) Class Hazing John Butler Groves died in a hazing incident, according to a family history.
2) 1847 Amherst College (Massachusetts) Class Hazing Jonathan D.
Pittsburgh Press, June 7, 1892 6) 1894 Cornell University (New York) Bystander accidental death A non-Cornell bystander accidentally died during a class prank involving deliberate use of chlorine gas. Henrietta Jackson is chronicled in an in-depth investigative feature in Hank Nuwer’s 2018 book “Hazing: Destroying Young Lives” (Indiana University Press).
7) 1898 Decatur High School, Illinois (Corrected from earlier reference to Indiana).
Moore died following a snapped neck in a traditional fight between first- and second-year students. The basin was dry at the time and tho lad received internal injuries from the fall.
10) 1900 United States Military Academy (New York) Illness that revealed hazing abuses Although the death of plebe Oscar Booz was considered illness-caused by a committee of inquiry, those members of the U. House of Representatives on the committee determined that he also had been hazed maliciously by upperclassmen. C Porter Military Academy (South Carolina) Accident during hazing. Before he died he did not give the names of the cadets who had mistreated him, and It Is said no action will be taken In the matter.
18) 1905 High School Hazing (Lima, Ohio) Death following an initiation William Taylor, 13, died of pneumonia following an episode where he was rough-housed outdoors in winter by older students.