At the same time, six-cylinder and four-cylinder (the "four" with a Peugeot engine) models were manufactured.
These cars were successful even in sporting events.
The first six-cylinder model Type M, 4,655 cc appeared in 1924.
At the apartment of Franz Fikentscher, they discussed how to come up with a new name for the company.
During this meeting, Franz's son was quietly studying Latin in a corner of the room.
Reflecting the economic pressures of the time, Auto Union concentrated increasingly on smaller cars through the 1930s, so that by 1938 the company's DKW brand accounted for 17.9% of the German car market, while Audi held only 0.1%.
After the final few Audis were delivered in 1939 the "Audi" name disappeared completely from the new car market for more than two decades.
Several times he looked like he was on the verge of saying something but would just swallow his words and continue working, until he finally blurted out, "Father – audiatur et altera pars... " or "hear", which is "Audi" in the singular imperative form of "audire" – "to listen" – in Latin.
wouldn't it be a good idea to call it audi instead of horch? The idea was enthusiastically accepted by everyone attending the meeting.
The four rings of the Audi logo each represent one of four car companies that banded together to create Audi's predecessor company, Auto Union.
Audi's slogan is Vorsprung durch Technik, meaning "Advancement through Technology".
The modern era of Audi essentially began in the 1960s when Auto Union was acquired by Volkswagen from Daimler-Benz.